Kia ora koutou
With yesterday’s announcement by the Government, we are implementing with urgency our plan to support your child’s learning from home. We appreciate this is a sudden and significant change, and will be heavily disruptive to many people in our community.
We will be supporting your children’s learning from your home in the following ways:
- Some teachers, particularly for younger learners, have made up learning packs for the remainder of the week and we would like to provide families with library books so that reading can continue at home.
Tomorrow we will allocate times through the day for you to come to school and pick up any learning packs from classroom teachers (Rooms 3, 4, 8, 10), (Lynda will deliver Room 2 packs to mail boxes this afternoon), collect any personal items the children may need/want at home while school is closed and to issue 5-6 library books from the Allen Centre. To maintain physical distance we will manage this in the following way:
- 9 – 10am NO POWER
- 10 – 11am Family names beginning with the letter A to C
- 11am – 12pm Family names beginning with the letter D to H
- 12 – 1pm Family names beginning with the letter J to M
- 1 – 2pm Family names beginning with the letter N to S
- 2 – 3pm Family names beginning with the letter T to Y
NB: If you cannot make it in the allocated time slot please email your class teacher to arrange an alternate time for tomorrow.
For Wednesday we are open only for those families in essential businesses. We will be closed from 3pm. After School Care will operate until 5pm tomorrow if needed, again only for those families of essential businesses.
- You may have received an email from your child’s teacher this morning. (Check your ‘spam’ if it’s not in your inbox). Teachers will communicate with you to set up how work will be shared with you online. Please communicate with your teacher via their email address if there are any issues for your child.
- The Ministry of Education has launched two new websites to support parents.
- For Year 5 to 8 students I will email home a copy of the CAPES Awards Scheme. Families could be working on these tasks together.
- For those families keen on Science you may be interested in accessing Science inquiry tasks here…
For Year 3-4; Science Activity Challenges http://sciencebadges.co.nz/activity_challenges.html
For Year 5-6; Explorer Badges http://sciencebadges.co.nz/explorer_badges.htm
For Year 7-8; Science Badge http://sciencebadges.co.nz/badges.html
You can order and pay through the website and get it sent directly to your home.
Please be kind to yourselves…
These are extraordinary times, your children will need time to adjust (and so will you). You are not in a classroom setting, therefore your learning time can be flexible so you are not expected to sit the children at the table from 9am till 3pm for their learning time. Negotiate learning time and tasks together, a maximum learning time of 2 hours a day would be sufficient. Dip in and out of the learning tasks that the teachers share with you. Make it fit your family, your circumstances and their needs. Learning can come in many guises such as daily routines and round home tasks.
Teachers will be available to respond to emails and set work from 9am to 3pm; Wednesday 25th to Friday 28th this week.
The Government has brought forward the school holidays. Holidays will now begin on Monday 30th March to Tuesday 14th April inclusive (a reminder that the Tuesday after Easter Monday is always a closed day for schools).
During these two weeks teachers will not be setting any learning tasks and will not be available to respond to emails.
At the end of the school holidays, schools will be open for distance learning but not physically open for staff to work at the school.
We will continue to keep you updated via School Stream, email and on the school website. If you have any general concerns or queries please email me at [email protected]
Please take care of yourselves and each other.